Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Great Hope from Great Brook School

Today I spent a few hours with a group of junior high students at the Great Brook School in Antrim, NH who are involved in an Environmental Leadership Club after school to learn about careers in sustainability. They visit local farms and businesses as well as inviting guest speakers to come to the school. Jenn Sutton of the Harris Center for Conservation Education in Hancock runs the club and invited me to speak to the students about Art for Water. As the group was small – only 6 – the presentation was informal and dynamic. These students were engaged, thoughtful, curious, compassionate, and creative. We could have talked all day, but our time was limited. Participation in the Stream of Conscience project was enthusiastic with written contributions reflecting the global water issues we discussed. One student wrote, "Water is now a concern for me and I think I want to help with it." Encountering such thoughtful children gives me great hope for the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment